December 9, 2014

ASDFGHJKL;

OKAY, SO ORIGINALLY I WASN'T PLANNING ON BEING SO EXCITED THAT I WOULD FALL OUT OF A CHAIR... BUT I AM THAT EXCITED. I HONESTLY NEVER THOUGHT I COULD BE SO EXCITED THAT MY ENTIRE BODY WOULD TREMBLE, CAUSED BY A SIMPLE QUESTION.  MY BODY TREMBLED AND MY HANDS DRIPPED SWEAT FOR TWO HOURS STRAIGHT. MY JAW CLACKED AGAINST MY TEETH AND MY FINGERS COULDN'T STOP MOVING. AS A MEASLY TEENAGE GIRL I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME, LET ALONE IT EVER HAPPENING AGAIN IN THE FUTURE.

Drum roll please.....

TODAY I GOT ASKED TO GUEST CONDUCT THE UTAH WIND SYMPHONY!

Yeah, sorry about the overuse of capitol letters, but my excitement needed the emphasis. Seriously though, how many times does a small and unimportant teenage girl get asked to do something that big? Assuming you don't know what it means to conduct, it's when the person at the front of the stage starts waving that stick thing until the music stops. A meager teenage girl worth less than nothing has the honor of doing that.  Conducting is like getting to lead a group of people through a maze of notes and rhythms.

The Amazing Utah Wind Symphony

Today I was sitting in the band room all humpty-dumpty because the Utah Wind Symphony was holding a rehearsal in our school. The students of the band program were allowed to sit in and watch because that's the deal the band director made in return for hosting them. Me, an overly emotionally expressive girl who just happens to be obsessed with pretty sounds, was fangirling over every chord and unison pattern that came floating out of all the instruments in that room. At one point, the ensemble played a march that I''m pretty sure had the trombones sliding all over an assemblage of sixty-fourth notes. Just letting you know, it sounded gosh darn amazing and so professional. After the piece was over, the conductor told me it sounded sloppy. Ha, no.

The Utah Wind Symphony is a great thing to experience in concert. They are one of the best bands in America. They all are exceptionally great at performing, all because of their talent. Every person in that band knows the music they play. The members have told me that they do it because they love it, they would do it even if they had another job.

During one point in rehearsal, they took a ten minute break. One piccolo player said that we, the six students that sat in during rehearsal, were the best audience ever. I was first greeted by a trumpet player. Apparently my facial expressions I made when I was fangirling had made her day. She said it had made the forty-three years she spent playing trumpet worthwhile. Then another trumpeter came up to me and told me he watched us while we were listening. My expression when the march was being played had cracked him up. Dang, do I really show that much emotion?

Well, if you need me, I'll be falling out of a chair practicing my conducting.

What most people think of conductors, courtesy of Swing's The Thing

5 comments:

  1. Thats great Emily!!! I'm super happy for you. When are you going to be conducting and where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet, I need them to give me more information.

      Delete
  2. Hey this blog is amazing! I laugh every time I visit your page. Keep up your "klutziness", and keep up your amazing writing about your weird life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I shall post more about what klutziness occurs!

      Delete