May 18, 2015

Michael Davis Is A Boss

What do you get when you cross a broke teenage girl with a shiny new trombone?

Nothing, she's broke.

At least I got to touch them. I went to Summerhays with Jake, Leo, and Luca. Summerhays has recently become a dealer for Shire trombones. Congratulations Summerhays, you are now the official dealer of my drug. Shires are like the Ferraris of trombones. A Ferrari that Michael Jordan drove a few miles to go pick up Beyonce in. That is how nice they are. And I got to PLAY one. Two, actually. Their names were Michael Davis and Michael Davis Plus.

Fancy at its best
Image courtesy of Hip-Bone
Just look at how fancy this is. Admire the shine before it makes you blind. This piece of metal costs more than I do. Plus, it is engraved with Michael Davis and a bunch of flowery patterns. Of course, nobody needs the flower pattern, but when you play with an engraved trombone it just shows off your superiority to others. It would make people envy you, just showing off a trombone that costs more than their whole life.

To my surprise, this trombone played really well in all partials and octaves. It is a small bore, which is used more commonly in jazz. I have no idea if Michael Davis meant for this horn to be used for jazz, but it certainly worked well for what I needed. Compared to the Michael Davis Plus, the smaller build of the horn made it easier to reach higher notes, which is optimal for what I do with my solos.



The slightly bigger Michael Davis Plus
Image courtesy of Phil Parker LTD
The Michael Davis Plus is also a really nice horn. Not only because of the flowers engraved on it, but also because of the slightly bigger bore.  The slightly bigger bore made more lower notes sound bigger and fuller. It was so nice! Getting to higher notes was slightly more of a challenge, but it was so good sounding.

Michael Davis must know what he's doing. After all, he's released six albums. He studied at the Eastman School of Music, and is a music entrepreneur. Michael started a company called Hip-Bone Music to write publications for young jazz musicians. Not only this, but the cool dude has written books. On jazz pedagogy, of course.  When Michael plays, he plays so well that nothing can be considered wrong in his his technique. I'm really jealous of his talent, and I really wanna know what goes on in his mind.

Before I went to Summerhays to play the Shires, Little Big Band went to a recording studio. I have no idea what it was called, nor do I care to remember. All I know is that it was hard to play, but it was really fun. Me being me, I also did something really stupid. I sort-of-kinda-almost broke my ankle. Hobbling around a place with a lot of cords and expensive microphones was probably the most stressful thing I've ever done. We recorded three tunes- Mr. P.C., It Don't Mean A Thing, and Cry Me A River. When I was recording my solo, I noticed that we really killed it on the changes. Because yes, I did record a solo. Shocking, I know! I did through, and it was pretty good.

Without Bryan making me stay to record, I probably wouldn't have recorded one. He is my ride home, so I kinda had to stick with him. It was a lot of emotions all at once. I was scared and happy and excited and nervous and ready and gah. The time has come for me to stop freaking out and just play. So what if the crowd doesn't like what I play? I do, and they have no right to judge my creativity, even though it sucks. Gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment