May 5, 2015

Bus Rides, Boys, and Burgers

Field trips- the distant memory of you and all of your fifth-grade best friends getting to spend the day of school away from school. You know what's up, an awesome bus ride to a place that you love. An art museum, nature preserve, or an observation deck at an astronomy building. Whatever the tour guide said, you ate up every word like the last drop in that 7-Eleven Slurpee your dad bought you on the way home from school. Then, during lunch you would burn off all of the hyperactive excitement with your friends by screaming and laughing until your stomach hurt. The entire day was a blast until your bus pulled into the school parking lot.

My band went on a field trip last week. We had the Region X Festival to preform at. Of course, because it was a festival, we had to compete. During the week before, we had another few concerts, both a jazz concert and a classical concert. After the festival, Little Big Band had a performance.

The jazz concert went pretty okay, according to the amount of compliments the band exchanged afterward. For me, it was pretty great, cause I didn't screw up my solo. Cause yes, I had a solo. I played a nice-ish part on Artistry In Rhythm, which went better than expected. My nerves are starting to calm over the whole thing about playing in front of people. The Varsity ensemble also played a few of my favorite pieces, like A Night In Tunisia, Haitian Fight Song, Four Brothers, and Coconut Champagne.  Overall, it was a great concert. Like, the best.

The classical concert was good too. The usual occurred, as in we played, then the Wind Ensemble played, and I fangirled. Since it was the night before festival, the concert short and sweet but still great. The concert was just a normal one, not much excitement happened other than the chords and stuff. After all, since it is the third quarter concert, it was going to be our last concert other then our pop culture concert, which is everyone's favorite.

The excitement came the day of region. No matter what I did, I couldn't focus on anything in my classes, because my brain kept averting my attention to the festival. Oh look, a pencil. There is a pencil in my band binder with my region music. Why does New Orleans sink below sea level? New Orleans is known for music, which is waiting for me in my band binder. What's 225 • 210? Who cares, music.

The bus ride though, THAT was the worst. It was three hours to Vernal, and three hours back. It was totally worth it. On the way there, I sat next to Pauline. Later on, I ended up playing that slapping game with Quinn. I also learned that Five Nights At Freddy's is a very hard game, and that Conrad Herwig is a boss according to Luca.

Nailed it.

When we got there, everyone was anxious. The good kind. We eventually went inside to warm up, and then to work through the last problematic bits of our songs. Then, when everyone was calm, we went out to play. The pieces we played went better than rehearsal, but with the critiques the judges gave us, could have been played much better. However, the Wind Ensemble killed it. Somehow, they achieved straight ones on all of their songs and qualified for state.

On the way back, I sat next to Beckett. We were in a cluster of cool cats, like Jake and Molly. I got a few people to play scorpion with me, which was not a smart idea. I still have scars. Music played and jokes were made the entire three hour chaotic bus ride back. Hey, at least we didn't sit in awkward silence the entire time.

The next night, Little Big Band met at a fancy country club. We played at a charity event for some charitable reason, I sure hope. The tunes were the classic three, Mr. P.C., The Jazz Police, and Cry Me A River. Before we went on stage, the country club offered us some food before our performance. When the burgers came, Mr. Chapman had said the standard, "Ladies first. But in this case, lady" which made me think: Where's Caroleine?

Ahh..... Zoot Suits.

Jazz is a heavily male-dominated genre of music.  I was the only girl that night, which unfortunately really bothered me. Can you name any famous female jazz instrumentalists? I can't. It seems as if because of the history with jazz being all male since creation,  it will stick that way. Devastating. Maybe girls just need the chance to pick up and enjoy learning an instrument, the same way guys need the chance to learn how to twirl and jump with pink shoes on. Caroleine is a really cool girl, and she at least had a good reason to miss the performance. One day, there shall be a band made of both an even number of boys and girls like mine admiring famous musicians of both genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment