May 27, 2015

An Open House

My music program, Caleb Chapman Music, has an annual open house to promote auditioning and the casual gist of the program. Since I am a part of that program (and so proud to be), I had to play at the studio for an audience. We we able to ask non-members to jump up on the stage and play with us. Shockingly, the only person was a female trombone player in the eighth grade, which was really cool.

I managed to play with most of the bands, Including Voodoo Orchestra, Crescent Super Band, and Time Check. The horn swings in the Crescent Super Band was da bomb, and the trombone soli in La Quema Del Diablo was amazing. Voodoo Orchestra is the band I want to audition for next year with Bryan, Cameron, Molly, and Jake. If we were to all get in, it would be a party. (Caroleine, you need to audition for it!)

The Voodoo Orchestra at its finest
Image courtesy of Master Calender

The Voodoo Orchestra has recently played at the Apollo theater in New York on their tour in April this year. I think it was the other coolest tour for the Caleb Chapman musicians to go to on, other than the Crescent Super Band's trip to Cuba.  Next year, the Voodoo Orchestra gets an international tour of their own- to Ireland, England, and Scotland. Image the differences in the music we make and the music they make. There would certainly be a lot to learn about that culture on the other side of the world. 

After the open house, Little Big Band won an award at Best of State. The only other band that also had won an award was the Crescent Super Band. Bet you didn't see that coming. We played a lot more songs than usual, which was so much much fun! Unfortunately, we were not on TV like the Crescent Super Band. I've never experienced a big award like that before, and it was quite a shocker to see how nonchalant my band members were about the whole thing. I just loved performing so many songs and I really hope I get the chance to perform that much again.

No comments:

Post a Comment