December 16, 2014

The Almost-Best Moment Ever

Finding something that makes you an individual is a great thing. We all want to aspire to be the person we ourselves define as perfect. To me, that means music. I can see myself in a symphony and a few big bands in the future. I'm trying everything I can to get myself there; it's my dream. It takes dedication to be good at something, and a life to be great at it. Having to share my dream with my twin brother, however, absolutely sucks.

One day, my brother had to go to another town for a night. My father was taking him, so I figured I could go along instead of spending my Friday night alone in my bed with a bag of Cheetos to comfort my sad, introverted, and depressed feelings. We dropped my brother off at his destination (otherwise known as nerd-landia), and my dad asked if I wanted to go anywhere. Naturally, I asked to go to Summerhays (otherwise known as music-nerd-landia), and my dad drove me immediately there.

In my mind, I developed a plan. I needed new strings for my guitar, so I planned at looking at and buying a pack of those. However, I forgot about one measly detail. It was the semi-annual instrument sale! As soon as I walked in, they had a whole table filled with trombones. In case you didn't know, new instruments are about as shiny as looking into a pool of gold and metal spoons. I immediately went over and picked up one of my metal soul mates. Most of the horns were tenor with f attachments, and a few were bass. My dad was looking at model numbers while I was playing with the slides.

The manager came over and watched us. Pretty soon, he offered to let me play a few. I looked at my father with my big puppy eyes, and he gave the dude a nod. Mr. Manager picked up a few horns and carried them to a practice room. I played two horns, both Xenos. Xenos are the Ferraris of trombones, only because they cost about as much as a Ferrari or, you know, ten.

I contently played licks I memorized, a few from Mr. P.C. and Come Out Swingin'.  After a few minutes on each, my quality of play on the horns was definitely noticeable. The model I sounded best on was the Yamaha YSL 882OR with lacquer finish. The worst part, though, was the fact that we couldn't afford two new horns for my brother and I (Anyone have $3,329 to lend me?). When we decided which model was better, I got my strings and left.

My future soul mate courtesy of Amazon

The best thing ever to happen was when I was eating dinner with my family the night after. Since my brother was gone awing at geeky things at nerd-land-tacular and didn't know what happened, my father explained it to him. I was zoning out until I heard the words, "Emily first,". WHAATTT? OMIGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH Eh, my dad was only explaining to him that since we were needing two horns I would be the first to get a new one.

Sometimes, being an obsessive freak over something has its advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment