March 25, 2015

I AM SUPERIOR.

Link to video: click here

So I made it. Out of all of my three-o'clock-in-the-morning videos, I chose one that sounded like the best, and apparently it did. Apparently, my teacher though it sounded good too. After staying up until three in the morning on the Saturday of the Peaks Jazz Festival, I decided I had enough recordings and would submit one in the morning. Well, guess whose phone crapped out on them an hour before they had to leave for a jazz festival? Mine did! Kudos to Jake for being able to connect my phone to his hotspot so I could submit my auditions at the festival, and for helping me write out the written part of the audition. If you're reading this, you saved my life.

The worst part of the audition is that I had to use music from my school folder to play in my videos.  Yeah, it's a good thing because the music is easy, but it's also the worst part. The point of the audition is to prove you're better than the kids in Wind Ensemble, and if Wind Ensemble is playing a level 5 piece of music while your stuck with half-notes on a level 3.... that may be just a bit of an atomic-sized problem. Fortunately, I have talked to my teacher and other kids who have auditioned before, and they said auditions are just a formal way of asking for a spot in the ensemble. The auditions were actually year-round, and the teacher sees how hard every student works and plays, and then he decides if they want them in the ensemble. So I guess my teacher knows how freaking hard I work, and doesn't mind having me around. Yay.

Park City High School Wind Ensemble 2014
Courtesy of YouTube

I guess it feels like an honor to be in Wind Ensemble, but I just don't really know. Out of a total of thirteen trombones in the program, only four are in Wind Ensemble. The personnel in the trombone section consists of Jake, Molly, Michael, and I. Jake will be a senior, Molly a junior, and Michael and I will sophomores. I think I'm still going to be in shock until the first time we rehearse together, and then I'll just be a nervous wreck. I am, of course, happy and excited that I made the ensemble, and I'll get to be with my friends like Amanda and Bryan. The best part of it all that I left the knuckleheads behind to pursue my musical abilities at a higher level with other peers that actually care about playing music. We will learn so much more as an ensemble, like about what emotions music can provoke and how to create them with our instrument rather than just being told what a b-flat is.

I have heard that Mr. Taylor has decided to bring the Wind Ensemble on tour next year, which will be very exciting. My abilities as a musician will be able to grow more with a surround of music-enthusiasts, fun, and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment