March 22, 2015

Why You Gotta Be So Rude?


This is probably the most accurate description of  how I feel towards people who are judgey. My whole life I have experienced judgment from others. From what I wear to what I say to what I play- people just can't get enough out of their own opinions. And that's fine. What isn't fine is when someone tries really hard on something, wether it be a new idea or a new project, and others just shoot them down without thinking of their emotions. Yeah, I'm human too, and what you said just hurt! From rodeos to band festivals and everything in between, there is no reason to hurt someone's feelings just because they tried something new or didn't succeed. 

Now, let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, registration for next year was starting.  Oh yes, the great registration process. The great am-I-gonna-have-any-friends-in-my-class and what-classes-are-they-taking routine. I had to take the usual: a rigorous course load, with five core classes and a sparing three electives. Of course, I had to take Spanish as an elective, which means I have two electives left. So what do I take? Band, obviously! 

Me being me all ghung-ho, I thought I would have a chance to make it in to the higher level bands in the band program. However, as soon as I started recording my auditions, I thought I would never have a chance. I didn't sound good on the recording, and I was wondering why the heck my teacher ever thought I would stand a chance against the juniors and seniors in the higher levels. And then, to my utter despair, I realized it was just a recording on a camera. I was scared and depressed because of a piece of metal manufactured in factory across the sea in China. Wow. Disappointment. So I continued to play, and I recorded the best pieces I could and uploaded them to the internets.

And this is where the entire point of this post kicks in. My teacher will have to judge me based on my skill and decide whether or not to make me suffer in a class with a ton of musical knuckleheads next year.  I hate it when I have to play to be judged. It ain't fun. All of my life, I take the extra mile to stay away from judgement, wether it be from taking a test, losing on a team, or falling off a horse in a competition, I've pushed and kicked not to go. Because people are there to judge. My fate is in the hands of a person who doesn't even know who I am or how hard I've worked for whatever it is I am competing for. Judgement is also my theory for how wars break out.

I'm not the only on who feels this way, right? I know I'm not the only one. Famous people know the feels too. One in particular, I am in total condolence with because he has experienced what I have felt to the max. His name is Charlie Parker. Now, see, Charlie was a different one. Charlie dropped out of high school to be a jazz musician. Of course, Charlie was a killer player. He had the chops, tone, creativity, everything and beyond. He could play really well, and he was known for it by the age of 16. One night, Charlie got a chance to jam at Kansas City's Reno Club with Count Basie's drummer, Jo Jones. Charlie thought his time come, he really did. He was soon up to play on a solo chorus. However, he had been practicing an improv method of his own, one that used keys rarely played in jazz. When playing, he immediately switched to a passing chord and could sense the shock in the band and the audience. He was shocked and nervous, and eventually lost the beat. Jo Jones then stopped drumming, pulled a cymbal from his drum set, and managed to throw it at Charlie. Sadly, Charlie was pushed off stage by a series of mean jokes and laughter. 

Courtesy of The Guardian

This is why I love Charlie Parker. Do you what he did after that nightmare? He told everyone the famous line, "I will be back." And he kept his promise. Without that promise, we wouldn't even be discussing his very existence right now. 

Now, it's my turn. I'm going to take a risk. I'm going to post my audition for Wind Ensemble right here, for everyone to see and judge. I hope your ear isn''t as criticizing as  Jo Jones' ear is.


Link to video: click here

1 comment: