March 13, 2015

Like A G3

(I have not watched the entire video, nor do I intend to.)

You're probably wondering why the title doesn't have a six in it. Funny story, that's the name of my new cellular telephone device. 

Just look at this baby
Courtesy of USA Today

So I got a new phone. My old one just kind of decided to give up on life, given that it was an iPhone. A really, really old iPhone. But what is so cool about this one, you ask? IT ACTUALLY FUNCTIONS WITHOUT CRAPPING ALL OVER ITSELF. Please don't sue me, Apple. Anyways, the thing that is really, really cool about this phone is that it actually has a good microphone and speaker. The main reason that I actually have a so-called "smart" (not at all) phone is so that I can access the internet for all of my music purposes. I watch a lot of videos on how to play better, and I stream music more than I produce carbon dioxide. And when I'm not listening, I make recordings of myself playing that I can improve off of, or upload to the interwebs for auditions. You know what I love best about this phone, though? IT DOESN'T CRAP ITSELF WHEN I'M UPLOADING AN AUDITION. 

Speaking of which, I got to use a new horn for my auditions this season. My new (almost) soul-mate. 

YSL 548GOAL
Courtesy of Yamaha

Just incase you're wondering, this isn't actually a Xeno. I originally hoped to get a Xeno, but I decided to try every horn before I picked one. I tried mostly Accents, two Allegros, and two Xenos.  Of course, I'd thought I'd end up with a Xeno, but it turns out I didn't sound as good as I do now on this horn. What's great about it is they don't have a string on the rotor, which makes it prettier and easier to care for.  As for me, I do more playing everyday than the average student musician does in a week, and this horn is holding up pretty darn well. No dents, no scratches to show the usage of the instrument. Plus, it is way better to use than my beat up Jupiter. My Jupiter is my student-line horn, which is supposed to be durable and easy to play on, but things happen and it's dented and hard to play and maybe I shouldn't have thrown it across the room and mistakes happen and whoops. 

Have you ever thought about how hard it is to keep time? I cannot, to save my life, keep in time with a metronome. Last week I was playing the piano, and I was struggling with a few bars of a song, so I whipped out a handy dandy metronome. I have tendency to never ever ever stick to a metronome...  I promise I know how to music. Luckily I was able to fix my problem by keeping time in my head, which is a lot harder than you think, but it works! Time is a slut, she screws everything. but if you focus on her when you're thinking, you'll play better.

No comments:

Post a Comment